Recipe by Cathy17
I got this from the June issue of Chatelaine, my trusty and favorite Canadian magazine. I haven't made this yet, but it looks like it's a quick, easy and refreshing summer dessert everyone will think you fussed over. All of Chatelaine's recipes are triple tested and always turn out fantastically! Chilling time not included in cooking time.
Top Review by Jen T
I have this same recipe that I was about to post and then discovered yours :) I love the tang of the lemon and the cream makes the dish like silk! So easy and can be prepared ahead (day/night before)for an elegant dessert served in small dishes or fancy glasses topped with berries in season & a little 'dollop' of fresh whipped cream sprinkled with grated chocolate......Heaven :)
- 1 (500 ml) cartonreal whipping cream, about 2 cups
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 lemons
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a large saucepan with very high sides because mixture must boil rapidly for several minutes.
- Pour cream into pan and set over high heat.
- Add sugar stirring until sugar dissolves with a wooden spoon.
- When mixture comes to a boil, start timing and let it boil rapidly 2 to 3 minutes.
- Don't stir.
- If it rises close to the top, reduce heat to medium-high.
- Then remove from heat.
- While mixture is heating, finely grate peel from 1/2 a lemon (peel is not essential but adds extra zestiness).
- Squeeze 1/2 cup juice from lemons.
- As soon as you remove pan from heat, stir peel and juice into mixture.
- Let mixture sit until it cools down to warm stage.
- Refrigerate right away.
- Cream will thicken as it sits, so you can serve it in about an hour, but keeping it refrigerated at least 3 or 4 hours or overnight makes it even better.
- Serve topped with a mixture of fresh seasonal fruit like raspberries, blueberries or kiwi.
- Eliminate the need for small serving dishes by immediately pouring hot mixture into a single large bowl and refrigerating.
- Then just before serving, spoon chilled thickened dessert into pretty dessert bowls and surround with fresh fruit.