Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Asparagus, green beans and peas give this pasta its name. Start with an antipasto platter of purchased marinated vegetables, cured meats and cheeses. Serve the pasta with some crusty Italian bread. Champagne makes a festive beverage.
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb small green beans, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (preferably haricots verts)
- 1 lb fettuccine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 2 lbs sea scallops, each one quartered
- 1 1⁄2 cups purchased pesto sauce
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add asparagus and green beans and cook until just crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to bowl, using strainer. Add fettuccine to water and boil until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring pasta occasionally.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus, green beans and peas. Season with salt and pepper; stir until heated through and coated with butter, about 1 minute. Return vegetables to bowl. Melt remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in same skillet. Add quartered sea scallops, season with salt and pepper and sauté until just cooked through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Drain pasta and return to skillet. Add vegetables, scallops, pesto, cream and lemon juice and stir over low heat until pasta is coated with sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.