Prep 15 mins
Cook 21 mins
Cornmeal gives these muffins a crunchy texture that pairs well with any sweet berry, from raspberries to blueberries. If one dozen muffins is too many, freeze any extras in a lock-top plastic bag. Points 3.
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- percent low-fat milk (soya milk) or plain soymilk (soya milk)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour (plain)
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1⁄4 cup wheat bran
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup dark honey
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the oats and milk.
- Microwave on high until the oats are creamy and tender, about 3 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, bran, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk to blend. Add the honey, canola oil, lime zest, oats mixture and egg.
- Beat just until moistened but still slightly lumpy.
- Gently fold in the raspberries.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
- Bake until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Transfer the muffins to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Very good! Just to clarify, the original recipe calls for 1 cup of milk. I added a bit more then 2/3 cup of raspberries and I'm glad I did. Next time I'll go for the full cup. Had to skip the zest, but it would have made them even better for sure!
These muffins are wonderful, although the ingredient list is a bit unclear and I changed it enough that I am not going to rate it. This is what I did. I used 1/2 c of skim mild added to the oatmeal and microwaved, 1/2 white sugar as I did not have any honey and then added a 1/2 c 1% buttermilk (just because it was left over and did not want to waste it) as the batter was too dry probably because I used sugar!!. I also used lemon zest instead of lime and added 1 c. of frozen mixed berries - raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. They are a moist healthy muffin choice!!
This is from the Mayo clinic cookbook, and these muffins are delicious!