Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
These will knock your socks off!!! Dutch process cocoa is the secret ingredient so please don't substitute! Surdyk's Cheese Shop, in Minneapolis, sells these "Out of this world" brownies baked by Three Chocolatiers in Mpls. I use Droste cocoa from Holland, however, Hershey's brand also offers its own Dutch process cocoa, which costs less than the imported product.
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces quality semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 X 13 pan with cooking spray.
- Melt unsalted butter, set aside to cool.
- Measure flour and chop nuts, set aside.
- Mix the sugar and cocoa powder by hand, then mix in the melted butter; mixture will be grainy.
- Beat in the 4 eggs all at once until batter is smooth and glossy.
- Stir in vanilla, then flour and finally pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, or until toothpick tested in center shows moist crumbs.
- For Icing:.
- Scald the cream in a saucepan large enough to add chocolate.
- Add chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Pour icing over brownies.
- Chill to firm.
Oh my, my my! Do you think they will notice if I eat the whole dish? These taste great and the icing is decadent. I made the brownies yesterday and iced them this morning. Thanks!