Recipe by peachez
Easy and quick to assemble. We vary the ingredients to whatever is in the pantry, ie: low fat cheeses, milk, even will add jalapeños, tomatoes, green beans and corn. Whatever happens to be available. Will substitute 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper for the black pepper for a touch more fire. Play with the ingredients as you prefer. It just comes out great each time.
Top Review by Nif
This recipe is incredible! I baked it for 8 of us on Christmas morning. I prepared it the night before with all low-fat dairy ingredients. I cut up a baguette for the bread, and the crusts really added some texture. I should have cooked it for a bit longer because it was cold from being in the fridge overnight. After 5 minutes in the microwave, it was ready to go though. (It was a little bit rubbery because of the microwave - my fault!). Try this one - it's great!!!
- 5 cups French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Place half of the bread cubes in it. Top with half the onion, bacon, cheddar and mozzarella cheeses and all of the cottage cheese.
- Repeat layers as given (except the cottage cheese).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk remaining ingredients till blended.
- Pour liquid mixture over the layers, pressing down to saturate.
- Let stand 10 minutes before baking or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake, uncovered 45-55 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve hot.