Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
In ‘Waffles’ by Tara Duggan
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or 1⁄2 cup fontina
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta or 1⁄2 cup fresh goat cheese
- Preheat a waffle-stick maker or regular waffle maker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, buttermilk, and butter.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper.
- Using a stand mixer fitter with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites on med-high speed until firm peaks form, 5-6 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Gently fold in the egg whites, then fold in the three cheeses.
- Ladle the batter into the waffle maker, using ½-3/4 cup batter per batch if using a waffle maker.
- Spread the batter so that it almost reaches the edges of the waffle maker.
- Cook until the waffles are crisp and browned, 3-4 minutes (if using a waffle-stick maker, follow the manufacturer’s instructions).
- Using a spatula, remove the waffles from the waffle maker.
- Cut whole waffles into quarters, then slice into sticks about 1 inch wide.
- Serve right away, or place the waffle sticks on a baking sheet in a single layer in a 200 degree oven for up to 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with hot tomato soup, for dipping.