Recipe by Lisa1
Good tuna casserole from the "Cafe Wisconsin Cookbook". This recipe is from the M & M Cafe in Monticello. Description says you can sub 3 to 4 cups chopped ham or chicken for the tuna. I've just tried with tuna and it was good.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom pieces, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- curd cottage cheese (not low fat)
- 4 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained
- 16 slices process American cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain when cooked.
- Meanwhile,heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper and basil. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in soup, mushrooms with their liquid, and milk.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place half the noodles in dish.
- Dot with half the cottage cheese and half the tuna.
- Place 8 of the cheese slices over tuna.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Spread soup mixture over the top.
- Bake 45-55 minutes.