Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was passed on to me by a friend who is a celiac sufferer. It uses rice as the crust and is great for brunch or as light summer meal...not sure where she got it but it tastes great. (I sometimes add a touch of nutmeg to the filling for a bit of variety) ETA (7/2/2014): I have seen that folks are having issues with the cooking time, so have adjusted accordingly.
- 1 1⁄2 cups Minute Rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 10 ounces frozen spinach or 10 ounces fresh spinach, cooked and drained
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup grated feta cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped onions, sauteed
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Combine rice and boiling water in a 9" plate.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, mozzarella and egg and use spoon to press and form into a pie shell.
- Combine spinach, feta cheese, onion and eggs.
- Mix well.
- Pour mixture into rice shell.
- Top with tomato slices and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes, depending on oven.
- OR microwave at HIGH for 10 minutes and let stand for 3 minutes before serving.
This was really nice. I used regular rice instead of instant and used quite a bit more onion than suggested, but I like onion! I also sprinkled some breadcrumbs on top, which gave it a nice texture. I was nervous about the rice crust and how it would hold together, but it worked perfectly. I did cook it about 35 minutes at 350 instead of the suggested time/temp, as my boyfriend (a great cook!) advised. Will make this again.
Quite yummy. Will definitely make again! I used regular brown rice for the crust and it turned out fine, but took twice as long as suggested to bake in order for the eggs to be cooked through. Thanks for posting!
This was so good! The instant rice crust in genius! This sort of reminded me of quiche and I'll definitely make it again.