Recipe by Lambkyns
This was passed on to me by a friend who is a celiac sufferer. It uses rice as the crust and is great for brunch or as light summer meal...not sure where she got it but it tastes great. (I sometimes add a touch of nutmeg to the filling for a bit of variety) ETA (7/2/2014): I have seen that folks are having issues with the cooking time, so have adjusted accordingly.
Top Review by Novice Cooking Boy
This was really nice. I used regular rice instead of instant and used quite a bit more onion than suggested, but I like onion! I also sprinkled some breadcrumbs on top, which gave it a nice texture. I was nervous about the rice crust and how it would hold together, but it worked perfectly. I did cook it about 35 minutes at 350 instead of the suggested time/temp, as my boyfriend (a great cook!) advised. Will make this again.
- 1 1⁄2 cups Minute Rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 10 ounces frozen spinach or 10 ounces fresh spinach, cooked and drained
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup grated feta cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped onions, sauteed
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine rice and boiling water in a 9" plate.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, mozzarella and egg and use spoon to press and form into a pie shell.
- Combine spinach, feta cheese, onion and eggs.
- Mix well.
- Pour mixture into rice shell.
- Top with tomato slices and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes, depending on oven.
- OR microwave at HIGH for 10 minutes and let stand for 3 minutes before serving.