Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe come from "How to Cook" and looks beautiful when served. A nice variation to the usual omelet. Good served with a fresh fruit on the side
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons swiss cheese, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons finely cut fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Use a 7" non-stick frying pan with an all-metal handle.
- Heat the broiler to its highest setting.
- Separate the eggs so the yolks are in a small bowl or ramekin and the whites in a clean large bowl.
- Be sure not to contaminate the whites with any yoke.
- Beat the egg yolks with a fork or small whisk and season well with sea salt and black pepper.
- Heat your pan to medium-low.
- While the pan is warming, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and turn the heat up.
- Using a large rubber spoon spatula, fold the egg yolks, the cheddar cheese, half the Parmesan, and the chives into the egg whites.
- When the olive oil is hot, scrape and pour the egg mixture into the pan and smooth it out with the spoon spatula.
- Let the omelet cook for one minute.
- Then slide a thin spatula around the edges to loosen it, sprinkle the grated Swiss cheese all over the surface, and place the omelet under the broiler, about 4" from the heat.
- Let it cook for one more minute until the cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- Next, remove the pan from broiler heat and slide a thin spatula around the edge and under the omelet to loosen it.
- Hold the pan over your plate and, using a spatula, ease one half of the omelet onto the plate; then pull the pan gently over the top of the omelet portion already on the plate.
- If it breaks apart some, don't worry about it; it will still look beautiful.
- Sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan on top and serve.
- *Ifyou want to make the omelet for two, double everything.
- Use a pan with a bottom diameter of 9" or 10" and give each stage more time.
- When cooked, divide the omelet into two.
- Variation: Add a little chopped parsley and/or tarragon in with the chopped chives.