I can't remember where I got this, but it was in a cookbook from the library. It looks delicious, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb penne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1Cook penne in a large pot of slightly salted boiling water until al dente, firm but tender.
- 2Drain well.
- 3Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 4Add mushrooms; sauté 8 minutes or until tender.
- 5Remove from skillet.
- 6Heat remaining oil in skillet.
- 7Add onion; sauté 5 minutes.
- 8Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes.
- 9Whisk together flour and milk in a small bowl.
- 10Add to skillet.
- 11Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- 12Reduce heat to low; add salt and nutmeg and simmer 5 minutes.
- 13Heat oven to 400°F
- 14Lightly grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch shallow baking dish.
- 15In same pot used to cook penne, toss penne with sauce, mushrooms, lemon juice, and pepper.
- 16Combine all the cheese in a bowl; set aside ¼ cup.
- 17Add remaining cheese to penne mixture, stirring gently.
- 18Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- 19Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- 20Bake, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Three-Cheese Penne
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.6
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 56.4 mg
- Sodium 444.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 23.9 g