Recipe by FrVanilla
Recipe by Anna Olson from Fresh. Pasta with cream cheese, old cheddar and swiss gruyere.
Top Review by CoffeeB
This makes alot, so plan accordingly. :-) I omitted the breadcrumbs and just topped it with some additional cheese. The use of swiss cheese to this recipes gives it a nice little nip. I also added a bit of left-over KFC chicken to the mix to make it a meal-in-one. Picked some fresh corn and I was all set. Made for Vegn-n-Swap
- 1 lb macaroni noodles or 1 lb other small shell pasta
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups old cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup swiss gruyere, grated
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and boil, uncovered, until just tender to taste. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat and add flour. Stir with a wooden or non-reactive spoon until mixture has a lightly nutty aroma but no colour, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in milk, then bring entire mixture up to a simmer, whisking constantly. If lumps do occur, strain and return to heat. Add nutmeg and whisk in cream cheese until smooth. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in cheddar until melted.
- Stir in cooked macaroni and spoon into an 8-cup (2 L) baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbling around the edges.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.