Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from Southern Living
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and half-and-half; cook, whisking constantly, 3-5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, and next 3 ingredients until smooth.
- Stir together pasta and cheese mixture and pour into a lightly greased 11x7-inch baking dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes of until golden and bubbly.
- Note: You can use 8 ounce baking dishes to make individual servings--place them on a jelly-roll pan and bake for the same amount of time.
- Note: To make ahead, make recipe but do not top with the additional cheese and do not bake. Cover and chill up to 8 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Increase oven temperature to 400°F Top pasta with remaining Gruyere cheese and bake 10 more minutes or until golden.