Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are one-bite wonders of mac and cheese.
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter (plus more for brushing)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces deli-sliced American cheese, chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook the macaroni until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain, shaking off excess water.
- Brush four 12 cup, non-stick mini muffin tins with butter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the Parmigiano; tap out the excess.
- In a large saucepan, melt the 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk the flour over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook, whisking, until boiling, about 5 minutes. Add the cheddar and American cheeses and whisk until melted. Off the heat, whisk in the egg yolk and paprika. Fold in the macaroni.
- Spoon slightly rounded tablespoons of the macaroni into the prepared muffin cups, packing them gently. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano on top.
- Bake the mini macs in the upper and middle thirds of the oven for 10 minutes, until golden and sizzling. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using a small spoon, carefully loosen the mimi macs, transferring to a platter and serve.
- Can be prepared ahead up to baking. Refrigerate overnight, then bake as above.
These were cute and a hit at my party. They were pretty easy to make since you can make them ahead. I served them in little cupcake liners to make them easy to eat, and put them in a covered dish on a warming tray. They got dry towards the end of the night as they sat uncovered- they really tasted best right out of the oven. I used super sharp cheddar and would recommend doing that, it adds more flavor. You also might want to add some powdered mustard or other spices to give it a little more complexity.