Prep 50 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a little fussy but can be made a few hours ahead. I got this out of "Better Homes and Gardens" recipes.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 small bay leaf
- 8 dried manicotti
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups cream-style cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup snipped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 dash pepper
- For sauce, in a 2-quart saucepan cook onion and garlic in hotoil until tender.
- Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, the 1 teaspoon oregano, the thyme, and bay leaf.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Rinse shells in cold water.
- For filling, in a medium mixing bowl stir together eggs, half of the mozzarella cheese, the ricotta or cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, the 1/2 teaspoon oregano, and dash pepper.
- Spoon filling into manicotti.
- Pour half of the tomato mixture into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Arrange stuffed manicotti in the baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over shells.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese atop.
- Bake the stuffed manicotti, covered, in a 350 degree F oven Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare as above, except do not bake.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.