Recipe by Karamia
A yummy side dish that uses my favorite cheese, Gorgonzola. Can be assembled and refrigerated 1 day ahead, just bring to room temp. before baking.
Top Review by Redsie
What a nice mac & cheese!! The only thing I did different was to use mozzarella as I didn't have any fontina. This makes quite a big batch - froze half of it and will eat it at a later date (can't wait!) - Thanks Karamia!
- 59.16 ml butter
- 236.59 ml finely chopped onion
- 78.07 ml all-purpose flour
- 1064.65 ml milk
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 141.74 g gorgonzola, crumbled
- 141.74 g Fontina cheese, rind removed,cubed
- 236.59 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 453.59 g mini penne pasta
- 170.09 g bag Baby Spinach
- 29.58 ml plain breadcrumbs
- chopped parsley (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees; grease a 3 quart baking dish or casserole dish; start bringing a large pot of water to a boil.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter then add onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add pasta to other pot with water and boil for two minutes less than the package says to.
- Whisk flour into onion/butter mixture and stir for 2 minutes; stir in milk, whisking constantly until it thickens and starts to bubble.
- Remove from heat and stir in the salt, pepper, gorgonzola, fontina and 3/4 cup of the parmesan cheese until smooth and melted.
- Drain pasta well and return to large pot and add the cheese sauce and bag of spinach and mix well; pour into greased dish.
- Combine the remaining Parmesan and bread crumbs; sprinkle on top of macaroni; bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes; top should be lightly browned; cool for 5 minutes, garnish with parsley and dig in!