A yummy side dish that uses my favorite cheese, Gorgonzola. Can be assembled and refrigerated 1 day ahead, just bring to room temp. before baking.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled
- 5 ounces Fontina cheese, rind removed,cubed
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb mini penne pasta
- 1 (6 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- chopped parsley (to garnish) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees; grease a 3 quart baking dish or casserole dish; start bringing a large pot of water to a boil.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter then add onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add pasta to other pot with water and boil for two minutes less than the package says to.
- Whisk flour into onion/butter mixture and stir for 2 minutes; stir in milk, whisking constantly until it thickens and starts to bubble.
- Remove from heat and stir in the salt, pepper, gorgonzola, fontina and 3/4 cup of the parmesan cheese until smooth and melted.
- Drain pasta well and return to large pot and add the cheese sauce and bag of spinach and mix well; pour into greased dish.
- Combine the remaining Parmesan and bread crumbs; sprinkle on top of macaroni; bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes; top should be lightly browned; cool for 5 minutes, garnish with parsley and dig in!