1/2 Photos of Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
Mustard and cayenne add zing, while low-fat milk and cheese keep it trim. My future hubby and I really enjoyed this macaroni and cheese. When I made this macaroni and cheese I doubled the recipe without a problem. When I made this I used Kittencal's Seasoned Dry Italian Breadcrumbs for the bread crumbs. I found this recipe in Family Circle magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups lowfat 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded 2% cheddar cheese (6oz)
- 1/2 cup lowfat 1% cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1Heat oven to 350. Coat a 2 1/2 or 3 quart baking dish or six 10oz-12oz ramekins with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2Cook pasta following package directions. Drain and return to the pot.
- 3While the pasta cooks, combine milk and flour in a medium-size saucepan and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly. Remove from heat and add cheddar cheese, whisking until smooth. Whisk in cottage cheese, dry mustard, cayenne and salt.
- 4Stir cheese sauce into pasta. Gently fold in spinach in two additions.
- 5Spoon mixture into the prepared baking dish. Stir together breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle on top.
- 6Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes for large dish, 20 minutes for ramekins or until heated through. Remove from oven; let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.6
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.0 mg
- Sodium 666.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 22.9 g