Recipe by internetnut
Mustard and cayenne add zing, while low-fat milk and cheese keep it trim. My future hubby and I really enjoyed this macaroni and cheese. When I made this macaroni and cheese I doubled the recipe without a problem. When I made this I used Kittencal's Seasoned Dry Italian Breadcrumbs for the bread crumbs. I found this recipe in Family Circle magazine.
- 12 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups lowfat 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded 2% cheddar cheese (6oz)
- 1⁄2 cup lowfat 1% cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350. Coat a 2 1/2 or 3 quart baking dish or six 10oz-12oz ramekins with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook pasta following package directions. Drain and return to the pot.
- While the pasta cooks, combine milk and flour in a medium-size saucepan and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly. Remove from heat and add cheddar cheese, whisking until smooth. Whisk in cottage cheese, dry mustard, cayenne and salt.
- Stir cheese sauce into pasta. Gently fold in spinach in two additions.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared baking dish. Stir together breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes for large dish, 20 minutes for ramekins or until heated through. Remove from oven; let stand for 10 minutes before serving.