Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Makes a lot. Hearty enough, even without any meat, to be a main dish. Takes a little effort but definitely worth it.*** This is an adoptee I haven't worked through the recipe yet.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk (I've found skim milk works fine)
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth or 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 chopped green onions
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb dry penne pasta, cooked according to package directions and drained
- Melt butter/margarine over medium-low heat in large saucepan.
- Add flour, whisking for one minute.
- Reduce heat and cook 3 minutes.
- Whisk in broth, milk, dry mustard and worcestershire sauce until smooth.
- Increase heat to medium.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix the 3 cups of cheese together in separate bowl.
- Add 2 cups of cheese mixture, green onions and pasta to saucepan.
- Mix well.
- Place pasta/cheese mixture in baking dish (I think 13 x 9-- been awhile since I made this) and sprinkle with remaining one cup of cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
- Broil for a minute or two to melt the cheese on top if desired.
NUMMY !!!! Thanks Shelly this is a truly creamy, statisfying comfort dish at its best. The different cheeses enhance the overall taste of the dish. Wish I could give it more stars. A Keeper !!!