Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small elbow macaroni (about 6 cups)
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 lb Fontina cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (1 slice, toasted and crumbled)
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook pasta as directed; strain and place in a buttered 3-quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheddar and fontina cheeses on top, reserving 1/2 cup of each.
- Stir lightly with a fork.
- To make sauce: In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Slowly add milk and salt, whisking to prevent lumps.
- Add sauce to macaroni, reserving 1/2 cup.
- Mix egg with leftover sauce and pour over macaroni.
- Sprinkle macaroni with remaining cheddar, fontina and paprika.
- Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan and olive oil in a small bowl and spread on top.
- Place casserole dish on a foil-lined baking sheet on oven's middle rack and bake 25 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.