Recipe by CraftScout
This was a happy accident based on the cheeses I had in fridge today. You can save yourself a pan to wash by boiling the macaroni in the same saucier you build the sauce in (I would recommend 3 qt. for the amounts I used, it worked perfectly!). This made 6 good side dish servings, probably 4 main dish servings. Topping this with slices of a good tomato would be excellent as well.
Top Review by kellychris
This was a great accident! I love the flavor the brie cheese added to this. I did have to use the stuff in the green can, and it was great. The real cheese would send it over the top!! I also used spiral macoroni with no problem.Thank You for sharing this one!!
- 113.39 g whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 113.39 g elbow macaroni
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml flour
- 2.46 ml dry mustard
- 2.46 ml paprika
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 354.88 ml milk
- 85.04 g cheddar cheese, shredded
- 56.69 g brie cheese, cut into cubes
- 28.34 g parmesan cheese, shredded (not the stuff in a green can)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water in a large pot. Add salt and a smidge of olive oil for seasoning and to help prevent boil-over. Add both macaronis, and boil for 7-9 minutes, checking for doneness before pouring into colander.
- In a good saucier that you can whisk in, melt butter over medium high heat. Add flour and spices, whisking to coat particles in butter. Continue whisking and cook for about a minute or two, until it really comes together in a paste.
- Pour milk in a steady stream while whisking constantly. This will help prevent lumps from forming. Continue whisking until the mixture comes together (i.e., it isn't little clumps of paste in milk). Let this come to a boil and thicken, then turn heat down.
- Start adding the cheese in bit by bit, letting each addition melt before adding the next. Once all of the cheeses have been incorporated, taste to see if it needs salt or pepper (mine needed about a 1/2 t. salt and several grinds of pepper). Turn heat off.
- Add drained macaroni to cheese sauce and enjoy!