Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
We love mac and cheese, but not all of the fat and calories, so I've been working on a lighter version and this is what I came up with. My DD loves this and she's picky about her mac and cheese.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon light margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 4 ounces 2% Velveeta reduced fat cheese product (cubed)
- 2 cups 2% cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 cup 2% mozzarella cheese
- Cook macaroni according to box, pour into colander and leave. DO NOT RINSE>.
- Turn burner to med. Melt butter in pan, add flour and whisk together. Add milk and whisk constantly till warm and thickened. Remove from heat. Whisk in Velveeta, 1 cup cheddar and mozzarella, till melted and smooth.
- Add macaroni to cheese mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Heat oven to 350°F Pour mac and cheese into 2 qt casserole. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or till cheese on top is melted.
Made for Zaar Stars. We love mac & cheese, especially the baked kind, but I rarely make it because it is so loaded with fat - but this isn't and it tastes just like the full fat kind. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting this MsSally!
MMMMmmm... yum. I was making this for the kids at our St. Patrick's Day Party (it's the "pot of gold") and had a hard time keeping my fork out of it (and that was before it baked!). I used an entire bag of medium shells instead of the elbows (for some reason my four year old doesn't "do" mac and cheese elbows), and the ratio was perfect. I sprinkled only about 1/2 cup mozzarella on top of the mac and cheese before baking too (because the four year old also has a thing against shredded yellow cheese?!?!) and it was perfect for us. Thanks for sharing.
I will make this again. It came together nicely and the family approved. Thank you for posting.