Recipe by MsSally
We love mac and cheese, but not all of the fat and calories, so I've been working on a lighter version and this is what I came up with. My DD loves this and she's picky about her mac and cheese.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Made for Zaar Stars. We love mac & cheese, especially the baked kind, but I rarely make it because it is so loaded with fat - but this isn't and it tastes just like the full fat kind. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting this MsSally!
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon light margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 4 ounces 2% Velveeta reduced fat cheese product (cubed)
- 2 cups 2% cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 cup 2% mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to box, pour into colander and leave. DO NOT RINSE>.
- Turn burner to med. Melt butter in pan, add flour and whisk together. Add milk and whisk constantly till warm and thickened. Remove from heat. Whisk in Velveeta, 1 cup cheddar and mozzarella, till melted and smooth.
- Add macaroni to cheese mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Heat oven to 350°F Pour mac and cheese into 2 qt casserole. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or till cheese on top is melted.