1/2 Photos of Three-Cheese Lasagna With Italian Sausage
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 20 mins
An awesome, basic recipe for good ol' lasagna. The sauce is perfect: hearty and flavorful. This recipe was originally from Epicurious.com, but I have edited it somewhat. This variation is quite a bit cheesier, and uses oven-ready, no-boil noodles. I'm not one to cut corners, but in fact, I think the no-boil variety taste just as good as regular noodles. Using them also eliminates one of the more tedious steps in lasagna-making.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 177.44 ml grated carrot
- 29.58 ml minced garlic
- 226.79 g lean ground beef
- 170.09 g hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 59.14 ml tomato paste
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh basil
- 14.79 ml golden brown sugar
- 14.79 ml dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2.46 ml dry crushed red pepper
- 15 oven-ready no-boil lasagna noodles (about 12 oz.)
- 2 (850.48 g) container ricotta cheese
- 354.88 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 283.49 g frozen spinach, thawed, drained & squeezed dry
- 2 large eggs
- 907.18 g grated mozzarella cheese
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add onion, carrots and garlic; sauté until softened, 10-12 minutes.
- 3Add beef and sausages to pan; sauté until cooked through, breaking up meat as you stir, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add remaining ingredients.
- 5Cover and simmer until flavors blend and sauce measures about 5 cups, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- 6Discard bay leaf.
- 7Set aside and cool.
- 8Combine ricotta and ¾ cup Parmesan cheese in medium bowl.
- 9Mix in spinach.
- 10Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 11Mix in eggs.
- 12Preheat oven to 350°F
- 13Spread ½ cup sauce over the bottom of a 13" by 9" glass baking dish.
- 14Place 5 noodles over sauce, overlapping to fit.
- 15Spread half of the ricotta-spinach mixture evenly over noodles.
- 16Sprinkle 2 cups mozzarella cheese evenly over ricotta-spinach mixture.
- 17Spoon 1½ cups sauce over cheese, spreading with spatula to cover (sauce will be thick).
- 18Repeat layering with 5 noodles, remaining ricotta-spinach mixture, 2 cups mozzarella and 1½ cups sauce.
- 19Arrange remaining 5 noodles over sauce.
- 20Spread remaining sauce over noodles.
- 21Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese evenly over the top of the lasagna.
- 22Cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
- 23Bake lasagna 40 minutes; uncover and bake until hot and bubbly, about 40 more minutes.
- 24Let lasagna stand 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Three-Cheese Lasagna With Italian Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (491 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 845.8
- Calories from Fat 524
- Total Fat 58.2 g
- Saturated Fat 31.7 g
- Cholesterol 250.2 mg
- Sodium 1517.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 59.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
no-boil lasagna noodles