72 hrs 20 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
TOMATO ONION CHUTNEY
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, drained well in a colander
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
THREE-CHEESE FONDUE WITH TOMATO ONION CHUTNEY
- 1/2 lb gruyere, grated coarse (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 lb emmenthaler cheese, grated coarse (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 lb doux de montagne cheese or 1/2 lb havarti cheese or 1/2 lb vacherin fribourgeois cheese, grated coarse (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons calvados
- soft breadstick, with fennel seed
- assorted cooked vegetables, such as broccoli,cauliflower,carrots,and pearl onions
- cooked tortellini
- 1TOMATO ONION CHUTNEY: In a heavy skillet cook the onion and the mustard seeds in the butter over moderate heat until the onion begins to turn golden.
- 2Add the tomatoes, the vinegar, the sugar, and the allspice, cook the mixture, stirring and breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon, until the chutney is very thick, and add the parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- 3The chutney may be made 3 days in advance and kept covered and chilled.
- 4Makes about 2 cups THREE-CHEESE FONDUE WITH TOMATO ONION CHUTNEY:In a large bowl toss together well the cheese and the cornstarch.
- 5Rub the inside of a heavy saucepan with the garlic, leaving it in the pan, add the wine, 3/4 cup water, and the lemon juice, and boil the mixture for 1 minute.
- 6Stir in the cheese mixture gradually and bring the mixture to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring.
- 7Stir in the Calvados and simmer the mixture, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- 8Transfer the fondue to a fondue pot, swirl in the chutney, and set the fondue pot on its stand over a low flame.
- 9Serve the breadsticks, the potatoes, the vegetables, and the tortellini for dipping into the fondue.
- 10Stir the fondue often to keep it combined.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Three-cheese Fondue with Tomato Onion Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 651.8
- Calories from Fat 386
- Total Fat 42.9 g
- Saturated Fat 25.9 g
- Cholesterol 125.7 mg
- Sodium 755.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 30.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: