Recipe by *Parsley*
Got this from an on-line friend. My whole family loves this! Mix different pasta shapes together.
Top Review by Lainey6605
This is delicious! We loved it! It is full of flavor and easy to make. I didn't change a thing and it turned out just right. Made for Zaar World Tour 4 for the Italy Forum's Basil or Nutmeg Challenge for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.
- 1 lb uncooked rigatoni pasta (or similar shape pasta)
- 28 ounces spaghetti sauce (or use your own, you may need more if you like it saucy)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced pepperoni (or sliced pepperoni)
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions to "al dente".
- While pasta is cooking, saute mushrooms, onions and garlic in olive oil until tender, remove from heat to cool, do not drain.
- Combine cottage cheese, ricotta, egg, herbs and seasonings.
- Mix cooked pasta with sauce and sauteed onion mixture, and spoon half into bottom of 11x13-inch glass pan.
- Spoon cheese mixture on top of pasta, spreading evenly to the edges. Put 1/2 cup mozzarella on top of cheese mixture. Place sliced pepperoni on top of cheese, then spread remaining pasta/onion/mushroom mixture, then mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until cheese is browning and bubbly. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes before cutting.