Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Got this from an on-line friend. My whole family loves this! Mix different pasta shapes together.
Make and share this Three Cheese Cavatini recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb uncooked rigatoni pasta (or similar shape pasta)
- 28 ounces spaghetti sauce (or use your own, you may need more if you like it saucy)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced pepperoni (or sliced pepperoni)
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions to "al dente".
- While pasta is cooking, saute mushrooms, onions and garlic in olive oil until tender, remove from heat to cool, do not drain.
- Combine cottage cheese, ricotta, egg, herbs and seasonings.
- Mix cooked pasta with sauce and sauteed onion mixture, and spoon half into bottom of 11x13-inch glass pan.
- Spoon cheese mixture on top of pasta, spreading evenly to the edges. Put 1/2 cup mozzarella on top of cheese mixture. Place sliced pepperoni on top of cheese, then spread remaining pasta/onion/mushroom mixture, then mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until cheese is browning and bubbly. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes before cutting.
This is delicious! We loved it! It is full of flavor and easy to make. I didn't change a thing and it turned out just right. Made for Zaar World Tour 4 for the Italy Forum's Basil or Nutmeg Challenge for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.
Easy and tasty. Nice and cheesy-just the way we like it! The pepperoni adds a nice little "bite" to it. I left out the mushrooms b/c DH doesn't like them.