Recipe by Searid
Any pointers would be great, this is the first time I've written up a recipe - so any advice, anything I should add, omit, et. Al would be much appreciated. This is a Greek side dish, which actually can make a nice main course as well. If cauliflower isn't really you bag, you can replace it with broccoli. I got this recipe, along with a few other ones, from a file a friend of mine sent me. It's surprisingly good, and filling.
Top Review by Chef Ferrari
My mom used to make this recipe when I was a kid. It's a really good substitute four potatoes, which are too starchy. I'm gonna make a few adjustments, just because I'm dieting right now... Oh, by the way, It's usually hard to appreciate cauliflower (it's so tastless!) but this dish is adorable, so thanks a bunch! PS: My mom would sometimes substitute cauliflower for mashed chayotes, which also taste like nothing, and the dish was still a success at home (less starch, more nutritious than potato soufle). :D
- 3 1⁄3 lbs cauliflower
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (to 1/2 tsp)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch (to 5 tbsp)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 lb gruyere cheese
- 1⁄4 lb gouda cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 lb pecorino cheese (or Kefalotyri)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together the three cheeses together. I've found that a regular zip lock bag works best.
- Wash and trim the core and leaves off of the head of cauliflower.
- Cut into medium-sized pieces, and boil in well-salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and set to the side.
- Heat 3 cups of milk over medium-low heat in a saucepan. Mix in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Do not let mixture boil.
- Beat together the remaining milk (1 cup), eggs, and cornstarch.
- When the milk mixture (step 5) starts to steam, add in the beaten egg mixture, whisking continuously to avoid a boil.
- Once sauce thickens, remove from head and stir in roughly 2/3 of the mixed cheeses.
- Spread cauliflower across the bottom of a 13"x10" pan. Pour sauce over evenly, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.