Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is another of my family's all time favorite dishes! This recipe calls for an 11 x 7-inch pan, which will feed 3 people easily, I strongly suggest to double up the ingredients and bake it in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan if you are feeding more than 4 people, everyone will want seconds! I have also added in ground turkey that I cook with the garlic before I saute the broccoli, you might have to bake it in a larger baking dish if you are adding in ground turkey. to the mixture also.
- 3 tablespoons oil (can use more)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 1⁄2 cups penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups favorite marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 cups ricotta cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (can use more)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- In a medium skillet heat oil, then add in garlic; saute for 1 minute, then add in the broccoli florets; saute for a couple of minutes, then remove to a bowl.
- Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling salted water until JUST firm tender; drain.
- In a large bowl, mix together marinara sauce, 1 cup mozzeralla cheese, 3/4 cup ricotta, fresh basil and 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; mix well to combine.
- Add in the cooked penne and the broccoli/garlic mixture; toss to combine, then season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Spoon and then spread with 1-1/4 cups ricotta cheese (you do not have to cover completely with ricotta).
- Sprinkle with about 1 cup (or more) mozzeralla cheese, then sprinkle with about 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese over the mozza cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes uncovered or until the cheese melts.
- Let stand for about 5-8 minutes before serving.