Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
In 'The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever' by Beatrice Ojakangas
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 6 slices thick-cut bread, crusts trimmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded manchego cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves (or 1/2 t. dried)
- Butter 6 individual 8-ounce ramekins or one 9-inch square baking dish using 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- With the remaining 5 tablespoons butter, spread one side of each slice of bread with butter.
- Place a single slice, buttered side up in each ramekin, or lay the buttered slices in the baking dish.
- Grind some pepper over each slice of bread.
- Mix the three cheeses together.
- Sprinkle each bread slice in a ramekin with 1/4 cup of cheese mixture, or sprinkle all of the cheese over the bread in the baking dish.
- Beat the milk with the eggs in a bowl and add the oregano.
- Pour over the cheese and bread in the ramekins or baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 350°.
- Remove the casserole (s) from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking and uncover.
- Bake the ramekins for 20-25 minutes or the larger dish for 35-40 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
- Serve immediately.