Recipe by Canadian Country Girl
The addition of cream cheese makes this an extra rich and delicious variation.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- .Boil the macaroni in salted water just until al dente.
- While macaroni is cooking, melt butter over low heat in a medium sauce pan.
- Stir flour in and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly to keep smooth. Cook over medium heat until sauce is bubbly and thickened.
- Stir in dry mustard, salt, paprika, pepper, all cheeses and onions. Continue to cook until cheese is all melted.
- Combine cheese sauce with cooked macaroni. Transfer to greased casserole dish.
- Mix bread crumbs with parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over macaroni.
- Bake at 350 degrees F, uncovered, for 30 minutes.