Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I took a cooking class and this was one of the standout recipes - I am posting it here so everyone can enjoy it. There were several people in our class that didn't even like artichokes and they gobbled this up.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 6 slices day old bread, torn into small pieces
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup minced herbs (tarragon, basil, chives, thyme, marjarom, mint, italian parsley)
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon smoked spanish paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces frozen artichoke hearts (thawed & chopped)
- 1⁄4 lb parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb gruyere, grated
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees - preferably convection oven. Generously butter a 3 quart souffle dish (or if you prefer a crustier souffle with more crisp edges use a 2 inch deep by 10 inch roasting pan).
- Beat the milk and cream together in a shallow container. Add the bread to the milk and cream - set aside to soak for 15 minute.
- Meanwhile whisk the eggs, herbs, spinach, paprika, nutmeg, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Squeeze the bread gently to extract the milk. Whisk the milk into the egg-herb mixture. Stir in the soaked bread, the artichokes and the cheese.
- Pour into the buttered baking dish. Dot the top with butter. Bake in a preheated overn for 35-40 min or until golden brown on top, set in the center and bubbling.