Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my favourite pasta recipes. It can easily be adapted to your particular tastes by changing the herbs, the pasta, or the cheeses. but I like it as it's posted here!
- 2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 500 g penne pasta (about 1 lb)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook and drain pasta according to package directions, and pour into a 9x13" baking dish.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in flour, mustard powder, and nutmeg. Gradually stir in milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Toss cheeses together and reserve about 3/4 cup of tossed cheese. Add remaining cheese to sauce a handful at a time, stirring until melted.
- Stir in herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Toss sauce with pasta. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese on top is melted and crusty (you may need to add a couple of minutes under the broiler if you like your cheese really brown!).
My family loved this! We used more garlic. IT was wonderful.
This was very good! We used lower fat ingredients such as fat-free Promise margarine, a little more garlic and skim milk. Very delicious, we'll definitely be making this again! And since it made so much, we ate it for 3 days between the both of us. Still tasted good as leftovers! Thank you!