Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
The farmer's wife serves these with chunks of havarti or extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces whole wheat flour
- 2 ounces oatmeal
- 3 1⁄2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 ounce soft brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Mix all the ingredients, except the milk, in a bowl.
- Add the milk slowly until soft dough is formed.
- Roll out the dough between sheets of wax paper to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out shapes and place on a greased baking tray.
- Bake at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes until firm and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight tin.
good savory cookie that's more like a cracker than a cookie and also good for April Fool's jokes.