Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
A friend of mine clipped this recipe out of some magazine last week & passed it on to me thinking (correctly!) that I'd be interested in it! Love those kinds of friends! The first time I made this I used a combination of frozen blueberries, raspberries & marionberries!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup blackberry
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups reduced-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray 9"x9" cake pan with cooking spray, then pour in melted butter.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter, then carefully scatter berries over sugar.
- Place 1/4 cup softened butter, along with oil & sugar, in large bowl, then beat with mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Beat in egg & extracts.
- In another bowl, sift or wisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- To the butter mixture, add flour mixture & buttermilk alternately, beating at low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter on top of berries.
- Bake 30-35 mintes until top is golden brown & sides are bubbly.
- Remove from oven & cool on wire rack 5 minutes, then invert onto serving plate.
I'm not giving stars because one change I made may have effected the results to the negative. The flavor on this is quite lovely, I really enjoyed the berries with the almond. The problem - I used an 8x8 pan (how is it I have 3 and no 9x9?), the cake took and extra 15 minutes to cook and though it tested cooked all the way it was still pretty densed in the middle, the edges were more cakey but still not to my liking. Because the batter didn't over fill the pan and it didn't over raise I thought it would be ok, but obviously this is meant to be a thinner cake to bake out correctly.
LOVELY! I made this with frozen mixed berries, half the amount of Splenda brown sugar, half Splenda half sugar and added a teaspoon of cinnamon. I also cooked it longer. I was surprised that the berries shrunk down a lot and it ended up being mostly cake but it was still very nice. I enjoyed it warm with whipped cream. Freddy Cat says thanks for the sweets! Made for the Zaar recipe tag game.