Recipe by jenms
A quick and simple spicy vegetarian/vegan chili with beans and pasta. I grew up loving my mom's chili with beef. When I gave up red meat, I switched to ground turkey, and adjusted the recipe slightly. I later increased the bean ratio and cut out the meat entirely.
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (20 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni (optional)
- 32 ounces water
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons dried onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Break up whole tomatoes with a fork, and add them to a large pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Cook on medium high for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with whole wheat crackers.
- For thicker chili, slow cook for 1 hour on a low setting.
- For spicier chili, add more chili powder to taste.
- Optional non-vegetarian version: add half pound of cooked/drained ground turkey to other ingredients.