Ginny Sue's Note:
Hearty soup to serve with Mexican food. The tortillas are baked instead of fried to keep this low in fat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can spicy chili beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- 2Add whole tomato to skillet and heat until skin is blistered and slightly charred, turning frequently.
- 3Cool tomato slightly and coarsely chop.
- 4In a large saucepan, combine tomato, onion, and garlic.
- 5Cook over medium heat until onion and garlic are softened, about 5 minutes.
- 6Stir in beans and broth, and bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat, simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, heat oven to 425°F Cut tortillas into strips and place in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- 9Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until crisp.
- 10To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips and cheese.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Three Bean Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (489 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.4
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 14.8 mg
- Sodium 696.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.3 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 31.5 g