Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hearty soup to serve with Mexican food. The tortillas are baked instead of fried to keep this low in fat.
- 1 large tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) canspicy chili beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add whole tomato to skillet and heat until skin is blistered and slightly charred, turning frequently.
- Cool tomato slightly and coarsely chop.
- In a large saucepan, combine tomato, onion, and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until onion and garlic are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans and broth, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 425°F Cut tortillas into strips and place in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until crisp.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips and cheese.
This was a very hearty soup. Next time I am going to try a can of stewed tomatoes instead of the 1 large tomato. Over all a good soup.