Recipe by Tish
This is a great filling soup with potential to adjust to your individual taste. You can add the hamburger or leave out...I leave it out.
Top Review by BeckyF
This is a very good recipe. We made it with soy instead of hamburger, but I think it needed something to give it a little more taste. Possibly the next time we will try hamburger.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained (canned)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 15 ounces vegetable juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 cup red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook hamburger until mostly cooked, then add onion and garlic in the saucepan and slowly cook until tender and browned.
- Place the great northern beans, red kidney beans, black beans, celery, carrots, potatoes, tomato-vegetable juice cocktail, brown sugar, thyme, water and vegetable bouillon in the saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat approximately 25 minutes.
- As the mixture thickens, stir in the red wine.