Slightly adapted from Diabetic Living magazine, summer 2005. Go ahead and substitute another seasonal onion if you prefer. For less spice, substitute a milder pepper, such as poblano or anaheim.
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can small white beans, rinsed and drained (great northern or cannellini)
- 1 (10 ounce) package baby lima beans, thawed
- 3 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 walla walla onion, cut into crescents
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno peppers or 1 fresh serrano pepper, seeded and finely minced
- In a non-reactive small bowl, combine the salad dressing ingredients and whisk well.
- In a large salad bowl combine all the salad ingredients. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve. Best allowed to marinate at least 3 hours.
- Each serving is approximately 1/2 cup.
This was easy and yummy. I used purple onions; a sweeter one might have been better, but I like onions. Canned beans are just the best invention! Made for My 3 Chefs 2013.