Recipe by 2Bleu
If you like beans, you'll love this salad! Cook time does not include time for overnight soaking of the beans.
Top Review by mersaydees
This is a beautiful and tasty salad. I would love to see in step #2 the instructions for the dried beans separated from the string beans, just to make it a bit easier to follow! This seems like a terrific candidate for a potluck salad since it can be made ahead and the flavor gets better during the next couple to several hours. Thanks, 2Bleu! Made for Photo Tag. YeeHaw!
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup dried black beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 1⁄3 cup dried red kidney beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 1 1⁄2 cups string beans, topped, tailed, and cut in 1inch diagonal lengths
- 4 slices smoked bacon, cut into small strips (reserve drippings)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- lemon wedge, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the soaked black and red beans separately in a strainer. In two medium saucepans, bring 5 cups of water (2 1/2 cups in each) to a boil. Add the black beans to one pot and the red beans to another, reduce the heat under both to medium, and simmer for about 45 minutes, until the beans are tender but not soft.
- Drain the beans separately in a colander and set aside, covered. Bring the remaining 3 cups of lightly salted water to a boil in one of the saucepans, and fill a large bowl with cold water and add several ice cubes to it. Cook the string beans for 3 to 4 minutes, depending on their size, until they are tender but still bright green.
- Immediately drain them and plunge them into the ice water to retain their green color. Drain and dry on paper towels.
- In a medium heavy skillet cook the bacon strips over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain briefly on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, measure 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat and whisk it together with the remaining ingredients (except lemon wedges).
- In a large serving bowl, combine all the beans and drizzle the dressing over. Toss gently just to coat all the ingredients evenly, crumble the bacon over the top and serve while still slightly warm, Garnish with lemon wedges.