Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple, quick and sweetly rich baked bean dish made easy with the use of canned beans, and flavored with molasses, bourbon and a bit of brown sugar and Dijon mustard. It makes a nice vegetarian main dish, or as a side dish with baked ham.
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 6 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons Bourbon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute onion and green pepper in a little butter or olive oil in a skillet until tender and slightly browned.
- Stir in tomatoes, molasses, tomato paste, bourbon, brown sugar, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; then simmer, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, then pour mixture into a shallow 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Sorry, but we did not care much for these beans. The Bourbon flavor came on to strong masking the other flavors. If we make these again, we will use 1/2 the amount of Burbon. I added about 3/8 cup of honey to the left overs and it was an improvement. I would of liked to added some crushed pineapple to it but din't have any.