Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This is a simple, quick and sweetly rich baked bean dish made easy with the use of canned beans, and flavored with molasses, bourbon and a bit of brown sugar and Dijon mustard. It makes a nice vegetarian main dish, or as a side dish with baked ham.
Top Review by Roger/OH
Sorry, but we did not care much for these beans. The Bourbon flavor came on to strong masking the other flavors. If we make these again, we will use 1/2 the amount of Burbon. I added about 3/8 cup of honey to the left overs and it was an improvement. I would of liked to added some crushed pineapple to it but din't have any.
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 6 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons Bourbon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute onion and green pepper in a little butter or olive oil in a skillet until tender and slightly browned.
- Stir in tomatoes, molasses, tomato paste, bourbon, brown sugar, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; then simmer, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, then pour mixture into a shallow 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.