Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
The dumplings do remarkably well in the crockpot. No one evens misses the meat! It's a full bodied vegetarian meal. You can even make it without the dumplings on top. Just grate parmesan, sprinkle and serve.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups V8 vegetable juice or 1 1⁄4 cups other spicy tomato juice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Put all of the soup ingredients in large crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Make dumplings by mixing dry ingredients in one bowl, wet ingredients in another.
- Stir ingredients together.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking, drop dumpling mixture by teaspoon (in 8 equivalent size dumplings) into crockpot. Cover and cook for 30 more minutes.
- No Peeking!
This is a very good stew. My 10 year old liked it so much he took it in a thermos for lunch the next day. Easy to make, followed the recipe exactly. I think the dumplings could use a little something. Maybe some cheese or oregano. I'll try again and update then. Overall a very good recipe. Thanks for sharing!
I'm reviewing this for Holiday Tag. This is very good and spicy. I made this for my lunches, because DH doesn't really like beans. I omitted the black beans and used tomato juice in place of chicken broth, just because I had such a big bottle of juice. I froze it in individual servings. It makes much more than 4 servings to me.