Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my wife's recipe. I'm not a big bean eater, but this is SOOOOO good!!! IDK where she got it, but I'm putting on the Zaar for safe keeping!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Crisco, butter flavor preferred
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, light preferred
- 1 (16 ounce) can butter beans
- 1 (22 ounce) can baked beans, BUSH's preferred
- Melt shortening in a large fry pan.
- Brown ground beef, bacon & onion together.
- Season to taste with Lawry's Season Salt & Black Pepper.
- Drain & discard fat.
- Stir in the brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar & dry mustard.
- Cover & simmer on med. low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the kidney beans & butter beans. DO NOT drain the baked beans!
- Stir the ground beef mixture & all the beans together & place into a 2-3 quart casserole dish & bake uncovered for 40 minutes at 350°.
- NOTE: You can place all ingredients into a 4 quart crock pot & simmer for several hours on low instead of baking in oven.
This is just like my Mom's Three Bean Hotdish recipe...delicious!! I love how simple and yummy this recipe is...I think I could it this everyday if I let myself ;) The only thing I did differently was to leave out the Crisco, I just didn't think it need it and it turned out perfect. Great recipe!!
I made this last night for dinner and it was wonderful! Because of time constraints I didn't have time to bake it. I threw everything in the pan after browning the bacon & beef and let it simmer for 25 min. Tasted great, thanks so much for sharing your recipe!