Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adapted from the back of a can of S&W brand tomatoes. My family loves this one, and it's so quick and easy to make. One of my faves, too. The original recipe is kicking spicy, and I had to tone it down for my spice-wimps. They STILL say it is too spicy how I make it. Watch out for those chipotle chilis in adobo sauce. They are extremely hot. I use low sodium tomatoes and low sodium beans whenever possible.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (original recipe called for 2)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (I usually add more of this...for flavor...it's not spicy)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, chopped (original recipe called for 3. Buy a can)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- cilantro (to garnish) (optional)
- diced avocado (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Brown the meat, onion and garlic in a large saucepan over medium high heat, about 3 minutes. Drain.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, undrained tomatoes and chipotle peppers. Cook for about 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro, avocado and sour cream, if desired. Corn bread and a nice green salad round out the meal.
I am so sorry...it took me a long time to make and review, and then I make it and am not a fan. I feel terrible. My DH loved it however. I didn't like that it had to "juice" to it, so I added some beef stock. I used everything to the T..maybe a little more spice because we like it spicy, but it just didn't have anything "special" for me. I'm sure it can be adapted to be outstanding though. Thanks!
This was great, though I made changes... :-S I used 1 lb of ground beef and 1 lb of ground pork and only two cans of beans--red beans and black beans. I also spiced it up and used 2 Tbs of chili powder, 2 tsp of cumin, and chopped (after seeding) 4 large chipotles, plus I used 1 Tbs of the adobo sauce. I thought it was great--the spice wimps in my house just about died! So, I added 1 bottle of Corona, 1 tiny can of tomato paste, and 1 15 ounce can of drained petite diced tomatoes. I simmered for longer so it would thicken up and then we were all happy! (Though they still wanted sour cream and cheese...) Thank you for a keeper!
This is phenomenal -- not only tasty, but easy, too! I made a double batch, but only used 1# of extra lean ground turkey. It worked out just great! I used 4 chipotles AND 2 fresh, diced jalepenos, and it does have a nice bite. I also love cumin and probably close to doubled the amount called for in the recipe. I will make this a regular dish for Sunday football and (with less heat) a great potluck! Thanks, Mathmom.calif for the outstanding recipe.