Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A healthy bean cassrole. The recipe comes from Save Mart Supermarkets news.
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, all rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, all rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, all rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can chipotle chile in adobo, seeded,minced plus
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 3⁄4 cup original toasted wheat germ
- 1⁄4 lb cubed or grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- chopped cilantro or flat leaf parsley (optional)
- Spray 9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the 3 cans of beans, onion, green peppers, garlic, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce and barbecue sauce; mix well.
- Spoon into baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine cheese, wheat germ, cumin and butter; mix well.
- Sprinkle evenly over bean mixture in baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees until beans are hot and topping is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with cilantro, if desired.
This is great as a side dish, although I'm sure it would be good as a main dish, too. I don't tolerate wheat germ well so I substituted fine wheat bread crumbs and since I love cumin so much, I snuck a pinch more in. Very easy!