Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a low fat, high fiber, high in flavor quick and easy casserole. May be served hot or cold. Great for barbecues, family picnics and potlucks.
- 1 (15 ounce) can lima beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 6 slices turkey bacon (you can use regular bacon)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2⁄3 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- Put lima, black and kidney beans in a colander and rinse under cold water; set aside to drain.
- Cook bacon according to package directions,until crisp; crumble and sit aside.
- In a mediun saucepan, heatoil over low heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add ketchup,vinegar,molasses and mustard and stir together well.
- Add 1 Cup WATER.
- Add the beans and bacon.
- Bring to simmer, cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
These were very tasty. I didn't have lima beans or bacon so replaced them with cannellini beans and 1/2 tsp liquid smoke. Otherwise made to the recipe. Cooked a little longer to thicken them a bit more. Thanks for the recipe!
I found myself in a pinch just before a barbeque last night, (for 35+) when I found I had no pork and beans form my "standard" baked beans. I had these ingredients and decided I would made this recipe. It got rave reviews! I used frozen baby Limas, (and was a little concerned that the odd colors might strain the presentation) but it turned out great!
I thought this was really good! I used bacon bits instead of the turkey bacon. I had some leftover vegetarian baked beans and used them in this too. Thanks for a great recipe!