Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my summer time dish for all BBQ's and I always double the recipe. If you enjoy baked beans you have to try this one. It's from a '98 TOH and whenever I make it someone always asks for the recipe. I have personally never made it in the oven since the crock pot does just fine and who wants to heat up the house in the summer? When using the crock pot I will take the lid off for the last hour or so (+/-) of cooking - this will thicken it up if you like your beans thick right at serving. Leftovers freeze very well.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (I use KC Masterpiece original or hickory)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet over med.
- heat, brown beef, bacon and onion; drain.
- Add beans.
- Combine remaining ingredients and stir into bean mixture.
- Pour into a greased 2 1/2 qt baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350° for 1 hour or until beans reach desired thickness.
- OR place in greased crock pot and heat on low for 4 hours or so.
This is the most fantastic Bake Bean Recipe. Just like you, it is a frequent request with family and friends. You won't go back to regular bake beans again. It is even better as a leftover which can be eaten as a meal with fresh bread.
Oh man, this was incredible. I could not find a can of butter beans so I used a can of navy beans instead which was stupid because that's what pork and beans is made of, but it was really good anyway. Next time I'll use a different type...I prepared this exactly as written except for the bean substitution, and I was well pleased. This will be the only baked bean recipe I will use from now on. And it's super easy too. Thank you so much!
A wonderful baked bean dish. I used 6 slices of bacon instead of 5 ('cause I love bacon ). I baked this in the oven, but covered it first; other wise the beans themselves will dry out. The next time I hope to cook this in the crock pot. "Thanks DDW for the recipe; it was GOOD"!!!