Recipe by Bev
Rich, colorful, great tasting dish! I hope you will enjoy it!
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
I am always on the lookout for good baked bean recipes and this one is right up there, the only thing different I did was add in fresh minced garlic in when frying the onions (I use 2 large onions) we loved this recipe, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, coarsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Cook bacon in heavy, large ovenproof pot over medium heat until crisp.
- Using tongs, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Crumble bacon and reserve.
- Add onion to drippings in pot and saute until almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add dry mustard and thyme and stir 1 minute.
- Mix in ketchup, vinegar, molasses, 1/3 cup water, bay leaf and all beans.
- Season with salt and pepper (to taste).
- Cover pot and bake bean mixture 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if mixture seems dry.
- Mix bacon into beans.
- Bake 15 minutes longer.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Mix in hot pepper sauce and serve.