Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Today's Parent magazine. This recipe works in a crockpot and freezes well. I use fresh green beans, top it with cheddar cheese and serve it with soft polenta and a salad.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green peppers or 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- grated parmesan cheese or shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, peppers and garlic and cook until softened- about 5 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, tomatoes, kidney beans, chickpeas, broth, tomato paste and seasonings. Simmer over medium low heat, covered for about 30 minutes. Stir ocassionally.
- Add beans and cook until heated and tender.
- Serve with soft polenta, couscous or mashed potatoes.
- Spinkle with cheese.
Wonderful! We loved this ragout. I used a mixture of frozen green beans, yellow beans and carrots. I also added some fresh mushrooms.