Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A nutty, hearty whole wheat bar cake just sweet enough to be called dessert, spread with a tangy citrus marmalade that soaks in and perfumes the whole pan.
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄3 cup vegan margarine (I used Becel)
- 1⁄3 cup sucanat (or sugar)
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon stevia extract
- 1 cup peanut butter (or see my recipe for 3 Legume Butter )
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade (see Citrus & Sweet Wine Marmalade )
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a 9" square pan with parchment or foil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flax and hot water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream margarine, SucaNat, brown sugar, stevia, 3 Legume Butter and vanilla.
- Add soaked flax and beat well.
- Stir in flour, salt, nutmeg, baking powder and baking soda.
- Spread evenly in the pan and spread with the marmalade.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool completely in the pan before cutting.