Recipe by Redsie
From Ellie Krieger.
Top Review by TXOLDHAM
We really enjoyed this chili. Having a DH who is pre-diabtes, this fit right in with his calorie and carb allowance. I think next time I will add an extra chipolte pepper as we like spicy or maybe not scrape all the seeds out. We will be making this again. Thanks for posting.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 2 carrots, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce, from the can of chipotles
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in large pot or Dutch oven over moderate heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and carrots, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef; raise the heat to high and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, chipotle and adobo sauce, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Cook, partially covered, stirring from time to time, for 30 minutes. Stir in the beans and continue cooking, partially covered, 20 minutes longer.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.