Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Hearty, Hearty, Hearty lots of taste
- 8 ounces split peas (green or yellow)
- 8 ounces large lima beans
- 8 ounces red beans
- 8 ounces great northern beans
- 1 lb baked ham (diced, with ham bone)
- 1 lb salt pork, diced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- prepare beans and peas as per package instructions.
- soak overnight and drain.
- In heavy pot, cover beans and peas with water (add 1/2 tsp salt) and bring to boil for 3 minutes.
- Cover and turn off heat for 1 1/2 hrs.
- In very hot skillet (preferably iron) cook diced salt pork until just golden.
- Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels, to remove as much grease as possible.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients including the salt pork with 6 cups of water and bring to boil.
- Add beans and peas with their cooking water to this, and simmer for 1 1/2 hrs.
as soup season is almost at its end...this soup was excellent...well worth it