Three Bean and a Pea Soup
- prepare beans and peas as per package instructions.
- soak overnight and drain.
- In heavy pot, cover beans and peas with water (add 1/2 tsp salt) and bring to boil for 3 minutes.
- Cover and turn off heat for 1 1/2 hrs.
- In very hot skillet (preferably iron) cook diced salt pork until just golden.
- Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels, to remove as much grease as possible.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients including the salt pork with 6 cups of water and bring to boil.
- Add beans and peas with their cooking water to this, and simmer for 1 1/2 hrs.