Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a tangy relish that I hadn't made for awhile- just made a batch and remembered how good it is! From an old Canadian Living.
- 6 large cucumbers, peeled
- 6 large onions
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- In food processor or food chopper with coarse blade, chop vegetables. I find the best way to do this is to coarsley chop the vegetables before putting in the processor, and then pulsing briefly- you want small chunks, not puree.
- Sprinkle with salt and add 2 1/2°C cold water. Let stand for 1 hour and drain well.
- In large saucepan combine sugar, flour and spices; gradually stir in vineagr and water.
- Add drained vegetables and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 30-60 minutes, stirring often. Pack into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/8 inch headspace.
- Seal immediately, label and store in cool, dry, dark place.